Carlton Fixie










I have had the bike finished now for just over a week and it rides like a dream. One or two teething problems at first but nothing a few spanners couldn't fix. As you can see it very much stripped down compared to a standard road bike, the big difference is that it has no brakes this is controlled by your legs and the drive. I am looking at putting a front brake on as a fail safe having had some hairy moments already when going down hill.


So I have tried to keep as much original parts as possible, the forks, drive wheel chain and pedals, the head set and the seat post. I bought new wheels; handlebars and my Brooks B17 saddle which a got at a great price. The paint didn’t come out as I had expected but it’s grown on me and even though I was wary of the decals I really like them now as they give an impression that the original bike is not lost. I have had a bit a stick from friends for the bike and various things but building this has been great fun and I’m already starting to look to my next project as this will not really be suitable once winter really sets in. The BSA is going to be a lot different and although it will be fixed I am looking at a coaster brake hub for the rear wheel and going all out on a new paint job.

6 comments:

Vinogirl said...

Love the British Made photo!

Black Sheep said...

Put on rear brakes, not front brakes, especially if you want brakes when going downhill. Unless you like the concept of flipping forward and crashing on your head when you apply those front wheel brakes, because that's exactly what you'll do.

Nice job on the bike!

Anonymous said...

I saw a bike like that on Merseyrail the other week I spoke to the guy about no brakes, was that you?

monkey said...

hmm it could have been, depends if your a stalker or psycho

Anonymous said...

Probably both,can't remeber if I was on the Chester train and got off at Birkenhead Central or I was on the West Kirby and got off at the Conway Park,but I did say to the person maybe it was you,I didn't think a bike with no brakes was legal on the road,but the person said it had a fixed wheel,certainly got deflated over that one,but it was a beautiful bike so I wasn't to bothered.

monkey said...

That wouldnt have been me, i only use the merseyrail to south parkway. The fixed gear is becoming more popular now, there are alot around liverpool and the almost always have a front break i just chose not to fit one.
take a look at my latest post, i bought this bike off a scrap man and in the process of fixing it up. im guessing its abot 1940's and it has a fixed gear and rod brakes.