Think before you speak!


“I was sat at my desk when there was a knock at the door, stood there was a young lad gesturing for me to come closer. I asked what was wrong and i couldn’t understand a word the boy was saying, it was a sort of noise a deaf person makes when they talk, i knew he wasn’t deaf so i thought he was foreign. After a minute or so of him making these noises and gesturing a little more anxiously i called for security because, well i didn’t know what he was doing or who he was, suddenly the two security guards come rushing through the doors and took the boy out side. Later that day i found out that he was trying to tell me he was about to have some sort of epileptic fit and he had one once the guards took him outside. He couldn’t talk because he had previously suffered a stroke after an attack. It just goes to show you never know do you..”

This was the personal experience of the head of equality and diversity after she overheard a conversation between myself and a tutor about a student with epilepsy. We sat in shock and watched the tumble weed roll through the office. I think this is a prime example of not thinking before you open your gob.

0 comments: